Featured Post

160110 NO Condemnation

Romans 8:1-4 (1) There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spir...

Thursday, March 6, 2014

140306 Food and Where to Find It

No, I am not an expert at this. If I couldn't go to the grocery store, I would seriously test whether ragweed was indeed edible and probably raise or try to trap small animals. Thus, I have been following some pages: "Foraging Texas", "Living the Rustic Life", and "The Fish Tank".

One of the authors, Kasper, has done a lot of footwork on Aquaponics. After a year, he declared it to be too much work for too little produce and is returning to a traditional garden. I suspect that I would have the same opinion, but my sister wants mr to give it a go anyway. She's pretty gung ho about this survivalist stuff. She has an impressive garden, solar panels, and a greenhouse. My 'man friend', on the other hand, is into freeze-dried foods and bought me a dehydrator. I just want a steady supply of tomatoes and okra that does not depend on my 'brown' thumb.

Maybe, I should befriend a farmer. Coaxing my garden-raising sister down here has not been successful.

1 comment:

  1. When I was little we always ate our own grown potatoes and vegetables. Dad fished and hunted and that was basically what I grew up on. We also had the sheep on the farm. I remember asking for mashed potatoes from a bag and cheap hotdogs for my birthday meal. For me, that was luxury. Little did I know at the time that I ate stuff rich people were willing to sell their souls for at fancy restaurants...

    In time, I plan on growing my own potatoes and a few basic greens up there, as my parents did. We get some great almond potatoes, even if nobody would have believed it if they hadn't seen it. Good soil, I guess.

    Good luck with your plans =)

    ReplyDelete