Featured Post

160110 NO Condemnation

Romans 8:1-4 (1) There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spir...

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

140415 Diet Pattern

Last week, I received what should be my final copy of AARP Magazine. In another post, I may explain why it is my last. One reason is the misinformation they promulgate. In the latest issue, there was an article on diabetes. In the very first paragraph, it said that "...following a low-fat diet can significantly reduce your odds of getting the disease."

Excuse me? What does dietary fat have to do with blood-glucose levels? Unlike carbohydrates, fat is glucose neutral. Body fat affects glucose, but dietary fat on a low-carbohydrate diet? I quit reading, because they would be quoting the same old spin on flawed study from the 1980s. 

When I do a Google search for diabetes, it gives me pages and pages that vilify dietary fats. This article is a discussion of actual studies from this century of low-carb, high-fat diets.  This diabetes forum has a lot of anecdotal evidence for the benefits of the low-carb lifestyle for diabetics. Natural fats are not evil, but Crisco, margarine, trans-fats, and anything used to simulate real fats are dangerous.

This study done by Temple University School of Medicine has one of my favorite quotes:
He discovered that study subjects did not eat less because they were bored with the food selection, and their weight loss was not attributable to water loss, two common speculations about low-carb diets.
Some people may do well on low-fat diets, but one of the worst parts of being overweight is the constant hunger. It has nothing to do with need, but ends in nausea and pain if not fed. The feeling of hunger demands constant input of carbohydrates. The Atkins and other high-fat diets kill hunger by removing the need for carbohydrates.

So my diet is this:
Breakfast:  eggs and bacon with stewed tomatoes
Snack:       beef and kale salad
Lunch:       chicken with mashed pumpkin, or other vegetables
Snack:       consume with salad greens, Atkins product, or other low-carb snack
Supper:      fish with cooked broccoli or other vegetables

I vary the spices and cooking methods daily to avoid boredom. Sometimes, I switch the order of meals, but this is basically what I have eaten for the last ten days. I have been mentally alert with no more blood sugar incidents. Also, I lost seven pounds in the first week. I weight on Sundays.

1 comment: