Featured Post

160110 NO Condemnation

Romans 8:1-4 (1) There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spir...

Sunday, January 4, 2015

150104 Tomorrow, Today

Today, I put on my Planet fitness shirt. It says, "Plant Fitness." I got it when I joined. It's almost too small, now. I joined the gym because it was convenient to home, and they promised me no pressure. I went regularly, until the knee happened.

Yes, a noun 'happened'. Step into the Wayback machine and go to Colorado in 1980. I went skiing with my boyfriend, an expert, and decided that I could tackle the trip all the way up the Maryjane lift and ski down the Winter Park side. For those who don't know, the Maryjane side of the mountain catered to veteran skiers while the Winterpark side catered to beginners. At least that was true in 1980. The trail I chose was listed for beginners, and I was handling it reasonably well. Until...

Behind me, someone yelled, "Look out below!"

Skiing etiquette says that the person who is downhill has the right of way. I became an example of why. I tried to turn my head to see whatever it was. I don't know how fast I was going, but it was fast enough. As my head turned, my skis twisted oh so slightly out of alignment. I never did regain my memory of what happened after my startle reflex demanded that I look.

Time jumped, and I was sitting in the snow with my skis detached. Someone handed me what was left of my glasses. I kept them for years. They had edge marks on them. I never did find one of my poles. People surrounded me. I tried to stand, and couldn't. Someone put her hand on my shoulder and said, "You're not going anywhere. I called Ski Patrol." I felt no pain, but my legs didn't work. Then, my body started the great shattering quakes of stage two hypothermia.
 
Ski Patrol arrived with a person-sized basket and warm blankets, but the blankets didn't help. There may have been another basket for another person, but this detail is fuzzy. During the incredibly long trip down the mountain, the guy pulling the basket kept encouraging me to talk. All I remember saying was how cold I was. After what seemed like hours, (ten minutes?) we made it to the lodge. Pain started as warmth came. Other victims were treated as well. I spent the rest of the day waiting in the first aid station while my boyfriend finished his fun and came looking for me. Ah, the wonders of that age before cell phones.

Young adults are invincible, so did I see a doctor? Hah! I had wraps and crutches! Who needed a doctor!?

After dealing with the pain for decades, I finally went to see someone about the "arthritis". X-rays proved that no arthritis affects my bones. Further study showed that I had sustained ligament damage that never properly healed. Standard weight loss exercises led to excruciating pain and weakness. In the 1990s, my knees gave out and I collapsed during step aerobics. Pain and weakness encouraged me to quit Planet Fitness two years ago, and all I used was the treadmill.

Now that I know, I can concentrate on those exercises that don't use the knees. Planet Fitness is running a special right now. Abdominals, anyone?   :)

1 comment:

  1. *Groans* I hear ya on the stomach muscles. I need to do situps, etc soo bad. I told my mom during Christmas holidays that I had gained 5 kg and they seemed they were there to stay. She smiled and said "good!" I looked at her and she continued "at your age you need some extra kg to look good and glowing, you'll be having all this hormonal crap with menopause and the extra kg will come in handy....besides when you hit 70 they'll disappear again anywho, just look at me" and she beamed. She's lost 20 kg this last year. I told her she looked very good and she agreed ;)

    When they X-rayed me regarding the arthritis I was asked if I had been in an accident or if I was abused as a kid. Apparently I had so many fractured ribs they found it odd I couldn't remember any bad accidents. When my inflammation and arthritis gets bad, the fractures give me a lot of pain and aches. The bravado of the young, indeed

    ReplyDelete