Featured Post

160110 NO Condemnation

Romans 8:1-4 (1) There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spir...

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

120125 The Cycle of Prosperity

The car has needed an oil change for awhile, but I was too busy using it to take care of that. Finally, I saw a window of opportunity, and Monday I set an appointment to get that done.

“It also needs a front end alignment, and can you find out why the left headlight works intermittently?” I innocently asked.

Tuesday at 7am, I handed over the keys to the Rio and drove my daughter to college in the ancient van. After school, we went to work and then home. So far so good, except for the sixty bucks I had to put into viejo’s gas tank.

Then, the mechanic called and told of problems. Maintenance problems. Mechanical problems. Electrical problems. The car would not be ready until Wednesday evening. Fine, we could use the van one more day.

At 7:15am Tuesday, I started the van and drove the twenty yards to the gate. At the gate, I heard a loud CLUNK! Then, the grinding started. The brake vibrated. It sounded like the tunnel cleaner in Labyrinth, only louder. I parked the van. Moon got her riding gear, even though it was cold and wet, it was better than missing school, right? The motorcycle battery had died. The charger was in the trunk of the car. The car was stuck at the shop.

We have three vehicles, and none of them worked! Suddenly, irrevocably, life changed. Yeah, I know that was dramatic, and this situation is minor. Dang! If you know anything about me, you know that we have seen a lot worse. It was simply that things had been going so well for so long, that I forgot what hardship was.

Our one neighbor had to stay home because plumbers had arrived to tear up her back yard. Moon ordered her books online, and they arrived after college started. (This saved $200.) She used the extra time to catch up on a week’s worth of reading. Today, our neighbor can get her to school. Another friend can transport her from school to work. By the time work ends, my Kia should be in my hands and operating properly.

What would we do without friends? Once again, they mobilized and helped us to overcome the circumstance. Thanks, guys!

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment